When you want to renovate your HDB home, there can be a lot of overwhelming choices and decisions to make.
Obviously, hiring a professional interior designing firm to carry out the ID project for you will help in taking care of most of these things.
Still, when you take on such an interior design project, there are certain things which you should know as to what parts of the home will be renovated and in what ways.
Here, we will discuss some of these important things to give you an idea about what you can expect from a HDB interior design project.
Walls are one of the elements which can be renovated during a HDB renovation. If the foundation of the walls are strong and not worn out, you can change the appearance of the wall to give a completely new look during renovation.
One of the most common ways that the walls can be transformed is through the use of wallpapers. Depending on the general theme that you have selected for a particular room of the house, you can select the wallpapers accordingly.
Bold and patterned wallpapers are usually used on one wall of a room and the other walls kept plain so as not to become too overpowering.
Another interesting idea to incorporate into walls interior design is the use of accent walls. You can use several different materials to achieve the effect of accents.
These include slats, tiles, wood, panels, marble, and other elements. Geometric patterns can be used on the accent walls as well. These accent walls can bring any bedroom or living room to the next level. An accent wall can also serve as a headboard of a bed.
The bedsheets and bed color can be chosen accordingly to further enhance the outlook. You can even line panelled walls with LEDs to create a stylish, modern, and elegant ambience which portrays a relaxing aura as well.
You can even use wood walls to create a more dramatic and natural effect. When wooden walls are combined with ambience lighting and recessed lighting, it helps to create a rather relaxing and cozy environment which can be perfect for the living room or the bedroom.
Another element which could be redesigned and changed during HDB renovation is the flooring. Because of budget, you may wish to leave the flooring as it is if it is not worn out, but if your budget allows, changing the flooring can completely transform the look of any room.
There are several options of flooring which you can incorporate in your house, some of which are discussed below:
- Hardwood flooring is probably the most common and popular type of flooring available. With its different colors and textures, it can appear quite beautiful and elegant. A hardwood floor offers a natural look and warmth which helps you relax and feel comfortable.
- Hardwood floor, although it looks beautiful, can be susceptible to changes in temperature and humidity. The solution to this problem is to use engineered wood floors. In such a flooring, the top layer is a veneer of wood followed by several layers of plywood. This helps it in being more durable and stable and does not wear out quite easily. It is available in a number of colors and grains, so you have a wide variety to choose from.
- Ceramic tiles are also a popular choice to be used especially in the kitchen. It is available in four different types namely porcelain, terracotta, glazed, and quarry tile. You can get them in a number of colors, shapes, sizes, and textures to fit your requirements and preferences.
- The natural marble stone gives the feel of style, elegance, and luxury to any room. It has a natural gloss and comes in several designs and patterns.
- Vinyl is also a popular choice for flooring. Although it is not as durable as hardwood floors, marble, or ceramic tiles, it is relatively cheaper. So it may be a good choice if you are low on budget. It is also available in a variety of colors, designs, and textures.
- You can also use the old-school carpets and rugs for the flooring. It is available in a number of materials, colors, fabric, design, and thickness. It has its own pros and cons, so you can choose it if it fits your requirements.
Living Room and Bedroom
Living room and bedrooms are probably the most commonly renovated areas of a house during HDB renovation. The first most important factor for you to decide upon is the theme of the room you wish to apply during the HDB interior design project.
Once the theme has been selected, you can choose all the other elements such as the walls, flooring, lighting, furniture, and other decorative items. The color scheme is also decided as part of the general theme, so you can incorporate all those colors when you buy the wallpapers, rugs, furniture fabric, curtains, and other items.
You can select from a variety of designs and themes such as scandinavian, industrial, japanese, retro, traditional, minimalistic, chic, french modern, luxury, and many other designs.
Each design has its own character and personality which should be depicted from the final interior design that you apply. You can use glass partitioning and sliding doors to bring about a touch of modernism and elegance to the design.
A living room and bedroom should be a place where you can relax after a long day of work, so the interior design should also be such that not only does it look elegant, but offers great comfort and relaxation to its residents.
Although the bathroom is probably the area which has the least focus during renovation, this should not be the way. Since a bathroom is probably the most visited room of the house, you should pay special attention to it during HDB renovation.
The bathroom is usually in a small area, so there are many different ways by which you can change its outlook and make it look spacious through various interior design strategies.
You can use different types of tiles for the floor and walls, with or without patterns according to your preferences. Wall hung and wall-mounted fixtures such as the toilet seat and the sink also add in making the bathroom look elegant as well as spacious.
You can use glass partitions in the bathroom to enhance its image as well. Different types of lighting can be used according to the theme you have selected for the bathroom. If you have the budget, invest in good designer sanitary as it will not only appear beautiful, but also help in making the bathroom functional.
Who doesn’t like a kitchen which is not only functional but beautiful and elegant as well? A well planned kitchen helps in making you feel less stressed out during cooking. There are several designs which can be incorporated to help you get the kitchen of your dreams. Some of these designs are discussed below:
- An open concept kitchen is ideal for small HDB flats. Since there are no walls separating the kitchen from the rest of the house, it helps to give the feel of a spacious kitchen. You can further use lighting details and other color schemes to make the kitchen pop out.
- A kitchen island gives the ultimate feel of luxury and elegance. It is usually designed in white color and is depicted as a stand alone counter in the middle of the kitchen. This counter can be used for several purposes including a dining area and storage option. You can add built-in fixtures in this design to enhance the elegant look and style.
- Some people may choose to keep the color scheme of the kitchen light and pastel to give the added effect of spaciousness and simplicity. Others may choose dark and monochrome color schemes to add that touch of elegance and luxury. This can be combined with various forms of lighting to complete the look.
These are some of the things which you should know before renovating your HDB home. Knowing the small things beforehand can help you make your decisions regarding the interior design choices. It would put you in a better position to expect the services when you opt for a HDB interior design project.